Wednesday, January 09, 2008

The creative wheel is spinning again...

I've had this idea in my head for a while. And when I say in my head, I mean...literally keeps me up at night sometimes.

It's for a television series. In my head, it must be a television series.

I shared all this with Stephan a few weeks ago, but he's in AZ now....which, ps, makes me totally sad. I've lost one of my partners in crime after all!

Anyways, it centers around four locations and seven people...
The primary location, and the spot that ties all of these people together, is a nightclub. In my head, at this point, it has no name, but it's the biggest gay club in the city that this takes place in. (Which, I'm thinking, Florida or California, but I'm not sure...could be New York City or Providence too.)
The second location is an apartment building, owned by the owner of the nightclub. In this building, five of the seven primary characters reside (and that shall be explained more later.)
The third location is a coffee shop. Because, um, there's gotta be somewhere quiet for these people to hang out, right? :P
The fourth location is a salon that employs a few of the people from the nightclub as well.

The characters are a much more complex thing...although all the names are just "for now" working titles...
The first four, are go go boys who share the huge loft at the top of the apartment building:
  • Ian - (yeah, I know he's the same guy from that series I was writing once upon a time...he and Hope seem to creep up in all my creative ideas :P) forced to find a new place to live and a second job, the series opens with Ian. He winds up, early in the first episode, being offered a job as a go go boy for the nightclub -- a job which comes complete with a place to live as the others are looking to replace their last roomie. He is in no position to refuse, but finds his naivety being torn down around him throughout the course of the series...will he be able to hold onto himself? (Age: 18)
  • Horace ("Jett") - Jett is basically the head dancer, constantly seems like he's having fun, loving life, and is super confident about himself. All of this, including the stage name, masks a tragic childhood and disastrous family life that has bred a seemingly infinite amount of self-hatred and a unquenchable thirst for approval from those around him. He also works at the salon. (Age: 23)
  • Landon - Landon is known for his sarcasm, though his bitter attitude springs from the loss of his first (and thus far, only) love, who disappeared two years before. To deal with the loss, Landon turned to various drugs and alcohol, which he has become thoroughly addicted to. He also works at the coffee shop. (Age: 23)
  • Kyle - the most muscular of the go go boys, Kyle is very protective of the others...yeah, okay, so he's the least developed of the central characters in my head, but I swear he's going to be awesome, some day. :-P (Age: 21)
Another character living in the same apartment building, though with an apartment of her own, is the drag queen who is club's official hostess and emcee. His name is Charlie, and his drag name is Chastity. He is nosey and inquisitive, always finding himself mixed up in other peoples' business, which leads to no end of the drama. He is a manager at the salon as well. Charlie is extremely concerned about aging, and is very worried that people know how old he really is. (Age: 30)

Then we have Hope. She is still living with her parents (at least, when the series opens). She was a high school friend of Ian's, and since the two graduated, they became even better friends. Now their relationship is at a Will & Grace level of closeness, with absolutely no boundaries. She also works at the coffee shop with Luca. She is a no-nonsense girl who takes shit from nobody -- except the occasional boyfriend. (Age: 18)

Eric Haldman is the owner of the nightclub and the apartment (Haldman Estates?) He is extremely wealthy, but is full of greed and is always seeking to increase his wealth. He is highly manipulative of the people around him, but is generally friendly to everyone and well-liked. At least to their faces...(Age: 39)

There's also some minor characters rolling around in my head -- recurring on a very regular basis but much less central. Here's a few of them:
  • Derek ("DJ Crush") - the club's resident DJ, he is extremely popular and, actually, is straight. (His main purpose is going to be a love interest for Hope, I think) (Age: 24)
  • Marco - one of the clubs bartenders, he's the sort of bartender who listens to everyone's problems...whether or not he has his own to deal with. He used to be a go go boy, but managed to save up enough for bartending school and has switched careers. (Age: 26)
Yeah, so that's all I really have so far.

I wish I knew how to write a script. :P I don't know how awesome this sounds on here, but trust me, as a television series this would be the edgiest, hottest, raciest most awesome series you ever saw. I have so many plotlines rolling around in this skull of mine...the issues you could tackle, from simple stuff all shows do like cheating and breaks up, to the harder to swallow stuff -- rape, drug use, hate crimes, prostitution....

This show has got to be created or I might just...combust!

3 comments:

A Lewis said...

Well, I tried. I went over and over the characters. Trying, almost in desperation, to find myself in there. But I'm, like, twice those boys ages. Damn it. I read the descriptions, over and over.....I'm exhausted. And disappointed. Can't there be a daddy to the boys? Somebody to snuggle up next to at night when the world just won't go away? You know, just for the sex? I'm just askin'

Grahamburger said...

Haha, Lewis...I suppose we could fit someone like that in. :P

Sue said...

Its great when you get these flashes of creative genius. Treasure them, the don't come all that often.