Sunday, July 13, 2008

An Adventure in Alcoholism, Part 2

So sue me, I'm bad at keeping blog-promises. I just can never foresee what crazy shit is about to go down. Eventually you'll here about it, but let's continue with Sunday of my road trip....(and to help, since it was so far back, I'm providing dates. :P)

Sunday, June 29th
When I got back to Brendan's I weighed the options. As hung over as I still was from the previous night/that morning's boozefest, it wasn't a hard decision -- I was bailing on my plans to go to Grand Central that night. I was hung over til roughly 11 pm, so I feel like that was a good idea. Yay me, for the thinking.

Monday, June 30th
My doctor's appointment, follow-up for my surgery (and the real reason behind this whole extravagant birthday adventure) so nothing all that huge, was early that morning. I went to the appointment, leaving before Brendan was even awake. I spent almost the entire rest of the day running into people in Park City. First, I ran into Damon. We hung out, ate, and then he headed off to work. I stayed in the mall for a while, ended up running into Elena at A&F, and eventually met up with Aubree for lunch.
Of course, that was when I found out she was going to England next semester, so my housing situation is a little...uh oh. But I think she'll have fun, so yay!
I headed back to Brendan's later.

Tuesday, July 1st & Wednesday, July 2nd
These two days absolutely blended in. At some points I was helping Brendan move. I also discovered that my car wouldn't start. Cody thought something was loose and it would be easy to fix. He was right, although I unfortunately didn't get my car back til it was too late to make it to Linda's 21st birthday in Philadelphia! :( But I did get to go to Jeff's farewell dinner before his European vacation, but that was kinda because I didn't have a choice. Of course I had a blast though.

Thursday, July 3rd
Driving on July 3rd, anywhere, is a stupid, stupid stupid idea. I spent like ten hours getting from Towson to New York City, in a car where the a/c barely functions on a super hot day. Almost as soon as I got into the city, David (the same David who led to me getting to the Saks party before) called and asked where I was. I told him I was at Grand Central, so he directed me to the friendly gathering he was at.
So, tired and in need of a good shower, I arrived at the building and told the men at the door who I was meeting. They were very friendly. "Oh, yes, that's Penthouse 3. They're on the terrace. Just go right on up."
Penthouse? Terrace? I was a little stunned, perhaps. The doorman smiled at me in a sympathetic way and said, "You don't know how to get there, do you?"
To which I replied honestly: "I don't know how to get to any penthouse anywhere."
He told me how to get there, and it was really very simple. I went up, found the door, knocked, and the door swung open and there was David. I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited to see him. He introduced me to his friends, who were all quite nice. And immediately made me a drink. Moments later the sushi arrived and they invited me to join them for their meal.

I met up with my friend Akash on the other side of the city later that night. First we went to XES Lounge where we met up with his friends Ant Man, Mark, Chris Ryan (the party promoter you may or may not get tons of invites to NYC events from on Facebook and Myspace), and Chris' boyfriend Chris. (I know, too many Chris', I said the same thing.) All of them quickly became some of my most favorite people ever. Ant Man took my overnight bag(/go go dancing bag stuffed with clothes and toiletries too) and put it in his car, which ingratiated me to him forever you have *no* idea. After we had a few drinks at XES we departed and went to Rush, briefly. It was kind of dead, but it was still a nice little place. Then we went to Splash. As soon as walked in, I was in love with it. My new favorite bar, even more than BeBar or Town or Dark Lady or Mirabar or anywhere.
And also, almost as soon as we walked in, I saw the many many go go boys and I knew that one day I would have to work there. And then I saw my friend Dennis -- who I usually see working in DC -- working at Splash! I knew he had worked in NYC but I didn't know he still did -- which was exciting for me because he and I met when we both worked at one of Seth Gold's parties in Club XS.

Speaking of which, Seth Gold and a few PA people showed up at Splash, actually. It was exciting to know people, you know? But I also met a ton of new people -- Zoe, the (apparent) fairy queen of Manhatten -- gorgeous, glamorous, hetero woman, and surrounded by gays. I instantly loved her. I also met this guy Nick, who aside from being beautiful (and having a beautiful gay brother I learned), and being from Israel, is one of the most interesting people I have ever met. I also met several of the other go go boys who were super friendly and who I would love to work with -- and I met Alan, who is apparently the guy in charge of the go go boys. So, good to know! I bumped into another beautiful guy once I was fully hammered who I think was named Jason? Anyways, he seemed really cool too, and I wish I had been less drunk. But what was about to come? Yeah, that I really wished I was sober for.

We left Splash after a while and went to Jonny McGovern's party called Mr. Black's. A girl was being thrown out as we arrived -- a crazy bitch. The best part? They threw her purse out in the street after her. While we watched this I noticed that this kid Steve -- who was good friends with my very first boyfriend and who I've seen maybe once since then -- is right next to us in line. CRAZY!
We got in, went to the bathroom, and then came out to schmooze. I was immediately introduced to Adam Joseph. You might recognize the name from his most-well-known video:


And then moments later, I was face to face with Jonny McGovern -- whose music I love. And, in my drunken state, what am I able to do? Compliment him on his height. HIS HEIGHT. We had like a five minute conversation about how tall he is. HIS HEIGHT. No more booze. And certainly no more shot at being in one of his music videos (:P):


Oh well.
Anyways, after that, we went to Akash's apartment where some of those who we had lost at Splash (which was everyone, basically :P) rejoined us. Until something like seven in the morning when I passed out, more from exhaustion than from alcohol.

Friday, July 4th
And when we awoke, it took a good long time for us to get our act together and get out to the party we were supposed to go to around noon. Like, we got there around 6. But none of us were feeling 100% so we didn't stay long either. We went back to Akash's apartment, where Nick joined us, and we proceeded to make excuses as to why we couldn't go out until it started pouring and we ultimately decided we didn't feel like going out that night anyways. So we watched TV all night until Nick and I both fell asleep.

When we awoke the next day, it was time to head home....and that will all be in the next post -- including my unexpected return to NYC yesterday!

1 comment:

Sue said...

Oh well. At least you are meeting interesting people in your business. You can work on what to talk to them about in time and not to be so sloshed when you meet people. You are young yet, my boy.